Although we didn’t plan to see the doctor until Monday…we didn’t quite make it….
On Thursday l had a a few bouts of shortness of breath in addition to the continued swelling in my left arm. When we finally received a call back from the doctor’s office late Friday afternoon, they asked us to go to the ER for a few blood tests and a chest x-ray. After waiting far too long in the reception area of the ER (4 hours) we were placed in an ER exam room. 7 more hours there, which included a blood draw, a visit from an ER doctor and a chest xray and 2 sonograms, we were admitted to a room. 11 hours from when we arrived to the ER….Yes, Mary and I walked into the room at 4:00AM.
My oncologist paid us a visit Saturday morning.He informed us that I do have a blood clot in my left shoulder. (This explains the swelling in my left arm). It also appears I have some small clots on my lungs. Additionally, I have fluid in the lining between my left lung and rib cage. It could be a growth of the cancer or the clot in my arm spreading further. The liquid will be drained on Monday and further tests will be run to determine the source. While we wait for Monday, I started on blood thinners and several antibiotics.
In either case, clot or further metastasis of the primary cancer, we agreed that starting chemo was something we need to start sooner rather than later. The chemo of choice will be Taxotere once again. Unlike when I had chemo in 2008, and received it once every three weeks, this time I will receive smaller doses, once a week for three weeks and then one week off. The intent of this regimen is that it will hopefully be less toxic, to better allow my body to recover in between doses.
We will continue to consider radiation as a way to relieve the pain.The pain meds have gotten the pain under control, so if we decide that taking chemo and radiation at the same time may be too much for me, we will forgo the radiation to get the chemo going to fight the cancer. For now, the clinical trials are on hold for the time being.
Thinking about the cancer spreading to my lung is clearly concerning. We continue to stay positive and keep the hope alive that we can get this pc demon in my body under control and that we will be able to resume to some semblance of normalcy.